Thursday, August 19, 2010

More Writer's Block. And More Mitch McVicer too.

Does anyone else have this problem, where you want to write something meaningful about a significant event, but because it means so much, you can't ever get what you write to say the right thing? I've had that problem a few times. Usually with poetry. I want to write something about my kids, and it never comes together.
When I lost Grace, my creativity re-awakened in a new way, but I could never write a good statement like I wanted to, a beautiful poem that did honor to it all.
Same with my grandma's death. It doesn't help either that she was such a fantastic writer. I wanted to write something in the style she used, but it hasn't quite come out. The idea's there in my head, but the words get tangled and mushed.
I know I'm not the only one who has this problem. I think Mitch McVicker did after Rich Mullins died. He put out a couple of albums before he wrote the song for Rich, and I think it was because he wanted it to say just the right thing, honor Rich's music and memory. I love it because in the background you can hear a hammered dulcimer through most of the song, but not until the end does it become really prominent. It just reminds you or Rich then.
I know you probably hate me posting lyrics, but I'm going to anyway. Because one line in this song reminds me so much of my grandma that I cried the first time I listened to it after she died. And it's the best I've got, since I can't seem to get it together just right.


Rich's Song

If you chase the horizon long enough,
Then you just might lose the dark
And you found the light or maybe it found you and I'm sorry you had to part
Until I think about where you are
You stepped behind a veil and then you just went on in
But you were here for awhile and that was such a gift
Do you know what I'm meaning?

Chorus
I'm sure you smile a lot more than you ever did before
And I can hear you laughing and carrying on from here
But this world took it's toll so you went on through that door
And I could tell it all was drawing near
I just had no idea it was so close
But He was always calling you home
He was always calling you home

And I've never known who heard His voice
But I'm almost sure you did
You had a way of hiding it,
But you walked along with Him
Oh, do you know what I'm meaning?
As I put words to your life they seem to come up short
Words meant a lot to you,
But you are so much more
Chorus (twice)
From the day that you were born
He was calling you home
From the day that you were born
He was calling you home
He was calling you home
He was calling you home
You finally made it home

1 comment:

Shelly Wymer said...

I understand about the writer's block. I blogged about it myself recently. I read these great books, or hear something that inspires me to write. But when I sit down at the keyboard...nothing! It's so frustrating. Beautiful lyrics, by the way.