Monday, August 02, 2010

Christian "Music" Rant

I don't keep it a big secret that I don't like listening to Christian radio. I get so tired of them playing the same three songs all day long, and I don't really like the style of music, which is either:

"dark, depressing guy with a scratchy voice singing about all the things the church does wrong but offering no solution"

"Dark depressing guy with scratchy voice singing about how terrible his life is and it's a good thing he's got God tucked away in there"

"Flighty teenage Miley/Britney/whoever copy who sings ditzy songs with cliches about Jesus or about how great her life is now"

"Rock band with nothing to say who can play five chords"

"dude singer who actually writes good lyrics but has a bad voice and can only play five chords"

"Praise music that all uses the same phrases/clauses/words as the other songs"

"Praise music that has absoultel no theme, but is rather a stream of conscious thoughts on God with no melody for the verses and a decent one for the chorus, which you have to repeat three times"

Okay, I guess I could go on and on. And I guess these categories fit any genre of music. But lately I've just been so put out with the shallowness of "Christian" music. On both accounts, lyrics and/or music. I know there are talented people but the ones who are actually good dn't usually get air time. But maybe that's just me. Who am I to argue with radio executive and producers? And hoards of screaming fans.

At the lastconcert I went to, Mitch McVicker said he knew that the world didn't need another Christian musician. "What they do need is truth, so I'm just trying to put those together and reach out."

There's music that I like. There are musicians that I like who even get played on the radio. But it does seemlike the majority of what I hear in church and on the radio fit into the "annoying" category. And annoying doesn't glorify God.

There is no point to this. I just wanted to vent about the radio lately. I was raised on "oldies" and that is my default (although, I could complain about those stations too. They need to get their labels figured out. If it was written in the 90's, it isn't classical rock.)

3 comments:

Bathwater said...

I find keeping up with new music much more enjoyable than listening to the same old oldies over and over again. New doesn't mean bad.

ks said...

No new doesn't automatically mean bad, and I like to listen to new things, but lately they've all just been annoying. There's a lot more old to look into, doesn't mean I have to listen to the same thing over and over.

Scarlet-O said...

LOL i'm sure you hate this show and i'm not its biggest fun-- but you'd really enjoy the southpark about christian rock: http://www.southparkx.net/episode/christian_rock_hard/