Friday, June 26, 2009

wedding remorse

This weekend I'm going to be in my best friend's wedding. My daughter is the flower girl, I'm a bridesmaid, and Daniel will be reading scripture. I'm really excited and happy for her.
It's made me think back to my wedding. I was 19 and really didn't know much about how weddings went or what options I had, so I kind of just did what people told me to. I would change a lot now, if I had a chance to do it over. And because I know you're all interested to hear it, here's what I'd change:
6 bridesmaids instead of 3. I wanted to have my best friend from high school Twan, be a bridesmaid, along with Emily my friend from church, and Becky my cousin, but my mom said it would be easier to just have the girls who lived nearby be bridesmaids instead of trying to get them all fitted for dresses and stuff. So I just went along with it. Daniel didn't have six guys to be groomsmen so I didn't want to make him pick some random people that weren't really good friends. So I had 3.
Music - I would have picked musicians who would actually show up at the wedding instead of calling two days before and canceling. I would have made sure that someone lifted chords for the song I wanted to have. If I could have known the future then, I would have made my sister-in-law (who wasn't related then, but was asked to play piano) play instead of the girl who quit.
Photography - I would have gotten someone with a nice camera to take the pictures.
Family - If I'd had six bridesmaids, I would have asked if my brothers both could have been groomsmen, and I probably would have had my sister (who was only 11 then) be a junior bridesmaid or something.

Everything went fine and we had a nice wedding. But I think some people ended up resenting me for not having them included. and I didn't really want that. I wish I could have known the future then. Oh well. shoulda woulda coulda.

1 comment:

Faith_Trust_Hope said...

Yep. I'm trying hard not to do the same - to avoid the unchangable shoulda woulda coulda. Your wedding was beautiful and perfectly you two at the time!