Friday, August 19, 2011

Where Did Summer Go?

I've heard about a billion people say that this week, as all of the area schools are starting back up again. I sort of miss it. I have ever since that last year.
The new markers and pencils, the fresh uncracked notebooks and the smell of freshly waxed floors at the school. The excitement and anxiety of meeting the class and new teachers.
Hearing them try to pronounce my name correctly.
Next year will be Arlene's kindergarten year. I don't know what we're doing yet as far as what school or home school. This year a few of us are having a preschool co-op where all of the kids go to one mom's house and we rotate through who teaches what. It might be fun. I decided not to send her to preschool for several reasons. 1) I taught preschool for four years myself 2) She knows pretty much everything she'd learn and I don't want her to be bored. 3) She's just a kid. I don't want to rush into school. 4) It's expensive. 5) She gets a LOT of social interaction, and classroom experience, so that isn't a concern at all.
As I consider homeschooling and its benefits, more than that I think about the cons. Like the fact that we won't have those mystical first days of school, and that I'll have kids with me all day every day. But, there are plenty of other things that I like about it. Primarily the freedom to do as we wish, rearrange the day based on what needs to be done. take school on vacation and do it there. Anyway, hopefully that doesn't start a public debate because I don't really care to have one. I can see benefits of both ways. I went to public school my whole life, which is partly why I'm partial to other options.
All that to say, with the school year gearing up, I do feel sort of gypped. We were busy running around, working on projects and whatever. We didn't really get to enjoy long summer nights with camp fires and stars and swimming pools and bugs. It's been so bloody hot this summer too. So when we were home, we just didn't get to enjoy the outside like we normally would have. And the grass was long so I had to mow a lot, which is like my least favorite thing to do. But, I guess, the vacations and trips and being busy is partly what summer is too. So I'm glad that we got to meet up with friends and enjoy the freedom of no activities. And, I'm planning to eek out whatever parts of summer i can while it's still warm. And the warm always stays longer than I want.

1 comment:

Katrina Custer said...

Wish I could've come and mowed for you - it's one of my favorite things to do. As opposed to, say, washing windows and vacuuming. :-)