Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Masks

We started a new book in my small group. I'll probably be writing about it a lot. I'm leaving in five minutes to go discuss the new chapter. It's called "Beyond the Masquarade" by Julianna Slattery, and it's about authenticity and what it looks like for a person who walks with God.
The first chapter just discussed masks, how we all have things that we use to cover who we really are. Things we hide behind to keep people from seeing into our hearts. some of them are good things, like being "the helpful one" or "the girl who always smiles" or "a good leader". Those are good attributes, but not healthy when they become so much a part of our identity that we are unable to seperate ourselves from them. When we use them to put up walls between ourselves and others.
I've been thinking about what my masks are this week. It's been hard, really. Partly hard to think of anything that really is a mask. Partly hard just because, no one wants to expose the depths of their soul. Even to herself. Looking deep inside oneself requires an honesty that doesn't come easily. And usually the result is change, which isn't always pain-free either.
So. That's where I'm at now. I'll probably write more in the next week, but life is just really freaking busy right now. I want to spend more time doing this, but it's hard to squeeze it in. Since it's last on my list of priorities.
Anyway, enough about that for now. Hope you're all having a great week, and that you enjoy your holidays.

No comments: