Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas is coming!

I'm not the sort of person who becomes a sappy basket case over Christmas. I haven't been on the edge of my seat since October, waiting to throw in the holiday CD's (still haven't pulled them out), or bringing up boxes of decorations (haven't pulled them out either). But I love it for the simple pleasures, and really don't care about most of the things the general population thinks are so great. So, here are some ways I plan to enjoy this "season".


Church - I just like being at church this time of year and thinking about Christ and the beauty of His Mystery revealed to us.

Packages - I like putting together packages, and this year we have the usual overseas relatives, along with my little brother. Today I got the idea to send him a miniature Christmas tree to decorate (along with xbox controller, candy and hand warmers)

Giving - We have several opportunities this year to get gifts for families who need them. Our class at church is collecting a giant Christmas dinner and gifts for a whole family. And our church is participating in The Advent Conspiracy again this year, which is really awesome. Maybe I'll write more about that another time.

The Missionary Tree - We're doing something new this year, with our little 3-foot tree. I had different missionaries we know and support send a memento from their country, and we're going to use them to decorate the little tree. I also got a garland with globes on it and some extra ornaments with Bible verses. I'm hoping it will be a good thing for the kids to remember our missionaries who they never see. And for me to remember to pray for them.

Decorating
- We don't go crazy, but I like to haul out the small decorations we have because they're all full of memories. Plus, it's a great excuse to get organized with the rest of the house and clean it all up. Yesterday I cleaned out the corners of our living room, where things accumulate for no reason.

Poetry
- It's not like there are books full of Christmas poetry, at least not ones I enjoy, but I do like to listen to the words of songs and appreciate the deeper meaning behind them. Really, if I made a confession, I'd say how much I HATE Christmas music, but that's mostly because it's nine songs played over and over in whatever genre and mutilation is conceivable. This year, I'll be reading some Tennyson to try and find a good Christmas poem.

Cold Weather
- That's about all there is to say about it. I just love it. and all the things it comes with (except for putting up stupid shrink wrap over the windows). Hot chocolate, fireplaces, sweaters, mittens, rosy cheeks, shivering. Scraping the windows. Snow. LOVE IT.

Well I'm sure there are more things, but that's my list right now. What about you? What do you love to do at Christmastime?

1 comment:

ks said...

and in case you were wondering, none of these pictures are actually anything personal from my life. Totally pilfered off the internet.