Thursday, September 09, 2010

Leadership

Have you ever wondered what it is about some people that always gets them appointed to be in charge of things? Is it good leadership skills that are some how obvious to everyone they meet? Being likeable?
I don't know why, but it bothers me sometimes. Why are certain people chosen over others? Do you have to be flashy to make the right impression?
I'm thinking mostly in the church, but it happens everywhere. I think a lot of the reason it bothers me is because I'm jealous. But partly because I feel like I have gifts that are completely overlooked just because I'm not outgoing or showy. And I get it. Especially in "real life" like working. Flashy beautiful people get chosen, even if there's someone just as qualified.
But it's not supposed to be like that in the church.
I've been thinking about it way too much. And I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, because I go to a really great church. Maybe I just don't say enough when I should, or know the right people or talk to the right people about what I want to be.
Or maybe I come across as boring and plain and that isn't what people prefer when they're choosing leaders. I get it. I was usually one of the last kids picked for the team. But I don't want it to be that way my whole life.
Nor am I willing to be someone different.
If I ever get a book published, I bet I'll get chosen for all kinds of things then. Because then people will know that I'm actually really articulate. And I love public speaking. And I'm artistic and witty and sarcastic and deep and spiritual. Oh, Someday, come soon, will you?

2 comments:

Scarlet-O said...

Well, it's not as arbitrary as all that... the way I look at it... it all goes back to nature and procreation (I know, I know, potential argument here :-) ), but oftentimes the things for which these people are chosen are qualities such as intelligence, attractiveness, wealth, which suggest to people good genetics or ability to take good care of progeny, like Good for the Species as a whole. Mix that with the herdlike mentalities and the Bottom Dollar, people like the assurance of others' compliments and preapproved approval in order to take a chance vouching for some. And then, there are just those "Leader" types. I'm not one, never wanted to be... you?

Jill H said...

Sometimes I feel the same way. "hey, I'm over here and can do just as good and most likely better of a job than your big leader people." However, every time I've stepped out to say something like that, it has come back to bite me. Put your talents out there quietly like you are and you will be called upon when you are needed. Until then, sit back and silently "laugh" at the people who are on call 24-7 because of their flashy leadership skills.