Friday, September 03, 2010

Growing UP

I just read an article about how young people today are hesitant to "settle in" and get married, and even when they do, it's all about how they feel and how happy the other person makes them. Wondering what people think about that?
i had a thought about how that works. Why young adults these days have no work ethic, are irresponsible and in general would rather not settle in and become a productive member or society (speaking generally, of course). Of course there are a billion factors and exceptions to those generalizations, but research is showing these trends.
I wonder. If the reason young adults don't want to "grow up" is because they didn't have happy childhoods. I think kids these days "grow up" too fast. They take on a lot of responsibilities because of absentee parents, and whatever expectations they have. They seem to be ruling the roots, as it were, and so as they grow up thinking they're the one in charge, the reality of "real life" comes as a shock. They're already tired of feeling responsible and in a backwards way, raising their parents and family, so they're ready to let loose and play for a while.
It's just something I wonder about. I'm interested to know what others think. I'm not speaking of specific individuals or families. Just general trends that I've noticed and read about. I have lots of opinions about it, but I'll spare you.

3 comments:

Jill H said...

I agree. I'm still young and already very tired of being responsible. I was very depended on by many people throughout my grade school/high school years because I proved myself able to handle responsibilities better than most others my age. I tended to rise to the occasion and loved it. Now I am very burnt out to the point that don't want any extra responsibility. Well, enough for me to be respected as a mature adult but nothing more. There no longer is joy in people depending on me; it's more like a burden. Probably has something to do with me being selfish though- should probably work in that one.

Scarlet-O said...

i think your analysis is absolutely spot on, in toto with media and tv shows like Sex and the City and Entourage and such about the most self absorbed people imaginable... hope is... this generation, the one below me, and i'm (eek... soon to be) 25, (... well, in january) are changing a bit... with the economy in the toilet and with globalization, i've read and heard and sorta seen that the younger bunch have a new, if strange and different, sense of community and working together, and certainly working harder and feeling entitled to less. Adaptation, I guess.

KH said...

I agree that young people are often expected to grow up too soon with responsibilities they shouldn't yet have to deal with. However, I think that in a lot of ways, nothing is expected of them (to obey, to respect authority, to sit still and listen when someone is presenting, to accept responsibility for their own actions/decisions, etc.), so they reach adulthood completely unprepared and un-adult. It's like it's lopsided development or something. Anyway, you asked for opinions, so you got mine. Are you surprised? :)