Monday, April 12, 2010

Is the Brightness Still in Me

This is for Scarlet:
The lyrics of this song sort of responds to your comment, I think. About my faith and how it seems to weaken and grow at different places in life. IT's one of my favorite songs by Charlie Peacock, primarily because there's an awesome non-bluegrass banjo solo and I think that's cool.

I've always liked the depth and poetry in this guy's lyrics. I have no idea what kind of music you like (scar) but he's kind of jazz-influenced pop. I think there's a link on the side of my blog for his site.

Anyway!

Is the Brightness
Still in Me
(Copyright 1999 Sparrow Music, written by Charlie Peacock)


The number of my days
The span of my ways
Too many to mention
too wide to hold
Written on my skin
Is the shape that I'm in
I know I'm not a young man
But neither am I old

Still I gotta wonder
Is the brightness still in me
Can I hold my own and sing a simple song
Oh I gotta wonder
Is the brightness still in me
as it was when I was young and first believed?

The light of God within
Forever grace given
To every sinner broken
Who dares to call God strong
Holy Spirit speak
when my light grows weak
Make me shine like Jesus
Fill me with His song

Chorus

And I think I've learned
to love the freedom of the boundary line
where freedom in the Spirit equals peace of mind
Still there are nights when I close my eyes
and wrestle with the powers of hell
There are just as many if not more good mornings
when I wake up laughing
and remember all is well

1 comment:

Scarlet-O said...

Thank you :-)

You know, I don't think I can think of any other songs that express that sentiment... which blows my mind right now, because it's kind of like, THE question, sometimes, of people and life worldover.

I downloaded from Itunes, it's so different than what's on his site, but it's great, his voice is beautiful, it's simple and honest and that's the hardest and most important thing about songs I think...

I'm gonna link you to my music... you might like... it's pretty religious sometimes... sacrilegious sometimes too, hehe... but yes. Here. I don't wanna put too much personal in public too but the music site is pretty impersonal and I'm not gonna put it up on my site just yours so here:

myspace.com/delilablu

When can I catch you on IM? I'm rarely on it too but I tried messaging you a couple times...

S-O