Friday, March 06, 2009

Catching my Breath

Things have been pretty crazy at our house. I really didn't expect a second baby to be so much more work. I don't know why. Jayna is a lot more work than Arlene was so maybe that's the big difference. I did expect big changes, and that we have gotten. :o) Slowly, new things are starting to feel like normal.
Mostly all that's interesting in my life right now is what I'm reading. Since I'm feeding Jayna so often, I have quite a bit of time to read. I decided to catch up on some of the fiction books that have been on my shelf for a long time. I'm not a super big fan of fiction, but once I get started on a book, I usually want to finish it asap.
Here's a list of what I've read or started recently:
Persuasion by Jane Austin (I'm sorry to admit, I lost interest in the second chapter and haven't finished it)
Troublesome Creek by Jane Watson - I liked it so much that I actually bought the sequel (brand new, which I never do) shortly after I finished it. The sequel is Willow Springs, and good news! There's a third one! It takes place at the turn of the century, and it's a story about a girl from the Kentucky mountains. In the first one she's mostly just growing up, and it's a series of little stories about her and her family. In the second one, she moves to the city and it's about what she does there with her husband. I'm really good at synopsies, aren't I?
Along Came Jones by Linda Windsor - The writing style was really annoying. I'd started the book several times and not gotten interested, but this time I decided I'd finish it. It's about a lady who gets stuck in Montana after being scammed by her boss who's actually ripping off a big drug lord. She has to escape and ends up finding refuge with an ex-marshall who lives in a ghost town. It's one of those stupid romances, and I really didn't like it that much. Some people would. Mostly it annoyed me because I have a feeling the author hasn't been in Montana or met a real cowboy. (But who has?)
A Family Apart by Joan Lorway Nixon In my opinion, Joan Lorway Nixon is an excellent author. I think she's maybe a little twisted with some of her novels, but her historical fiction is kind of cool. This is a book in the Orphan Train Quartet that I read in middle school and really liked. So I picked it up again. I really liked it again. It's about a family of six kids who get sent to live in the west during the pre civil war time period.

On my To Read List:

A Tale of Three Kings bby Gene Edwards - a friend loaned me his when I was in high school dealing with issues the church had brought into my life. I didn't finish it because I had to return it, but I've always wanted to, so I bought my own copy to read.

The Seeing by Bill Myers - Bill Myers is one of my favorite authors. THis is a spiritual suspense novel in the Soul Tracker series. Not my first pick for genres, but I like Bill Myers, and I think he has some good things to say about creepy spiritual things.

There's my reading list. What's on yours? Do you have anything to recommend?

No comments: