Tuesday, March 31, 2009

John The Baptist

For your reading enjoyment, I will be posting a series of poems written while I studied the book of Luke last year. They're sort of raw, but I like most of them. I'm hoping that I'll have a chance to study more and fill out the missing chapters and significant parts for which I didn't have any profoundness to offer. But for now, let's begin with Chapter 3.

Did you wander in the desert
to get their attention
and eat off the land
because you had no choice?
Why did you have to be so different?
a radical
a sign of things to come
a shadow of truth
producing fruit
and keeping with repentance
Making the way for the King
And why you, among all others--destined
the greatest of those born of women.
How did you understand
when no one else did?

And did the Spirit pass from you
to Him in
that holy moment at the Jordan
Behold my Son
Behold the Lamb

You knew. You foretold
your kin--a cousin to you, but still more
Savior of all mankind
The fulfillment of all the law and the prophets
and you dunked him in the water like all the others
as if he had anything to repent.

No comments: