Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Writer's Lament

It's a windy, rainy, cold night, and I'm sitting here alone (well, not alone, but without adult company and with two sort of sleeping children, which is about as alone as I ever get these days) for the first time, it seems, since Jayna was born. This is "free time", I suppose. I should go and change out laundry loads or clean my really messy house, or at least start the dishwasher, but instead, I'm sitting at the computer, waiting for emails and facebook updates. It's a big waste of time, really.
I want to write. I've been trying to squeeze in a few minutes a day to work on a short story but it's making extremely slow progress. I usually finish a short story in a few sittings, and then edit it later. No luck this time. It's a very inspired story, but I have such short incitements of time.
While this was all happening, I got an email from the Christian Writer's Guild. It's the alumni newsletter, telling about all of the people who have gotten published thanks to the CWG's correspondence courses. Blah blah blah. People who have extra time, I guess [tongue in cheek].
One of the posts was a girl I actually knew. I met her at the one writing conference I went to, and we got along really well. but after promising to write, she didn't really respond to any of my emails, and she got a job for a publisher and disappeared. I acutally thought she might have been a publisher-spy who goes to conferences and plays nice and steals peoples' ideas when they share them. I don't think she was. She got her novel published. Lucky (said in the famous Napoleon Dynamite voice). It made me antsy and impatient. I want this time of life to be over so I can get on with writing, not to mention enjoying my life.
It's not like I don't have material. I probably should start sending out letters and meeting publishers, because I have more novels finished than I could ever publish (unless I meet a fantastic agent or someone who wants to help me get them all in print). Whatever. Maybe I'll enter a contest and win my way to fame and fourtune. That'd be fun.
I'm rambling now. This post has no point, except to express my lamentations. I wish... I wish... I wish... And I hear the mom's voice in my head saying "don't wish your life away", and "if you want it bad enough, you'll work for it". So that's all I have to say. Good night. I must go change a pooopy diaper and fold some laundry now. Hello life.

1 comment:

Faith_Trust_Hope said...

If you go to Chalice Press, you can submit an idea for a book - it doesn't even have to be written yet. They are really looking for writing that is aimed at youth and young adults right now.