Friday, May 10, 2013

Two Gardening Books

We met Joey O at the chiropractor's office, and he seemed like a really great guy. He was cheerful and outgoing and full of life, and apparently (I later learned) is an acrobatic golfer/motivational speaker. Explained the golf club he had with him. He talked with my kids and then he gave them a book of his called "The Dream Seed". Joey's book is about a little boy named Joey whose mother told him he could do anything he wanted to if he believed in himself. He planted a little "dream seed" that grew and grew into his life ambitions, and eventually led him to live out the life he'd always wanted. The book us full of statements like "Use your intelligence intelligently" and "be honest with yourself and with others and your Dream SEed will grow" and "Listen to your inner voice. Then do the actions it tells you." These inspirational nuggets are pretty much the point of the book, as I can see it. The basic "if you believe in yourself you'll do great things." It's endorsed by former presidents Bush and Ford, and Bob Hope.
That same day, we also received a parting gift from JJ's Bible study teacher called "My Heart, God's Garden". The book from the Bible study teacher was printed off on her computer with little clipart pictures of kids in the garden. It tells about how knowing God makes our heart able to grow good things that he wants for us. It teaches about prayer and growing closer to God. Every page has two or three Bible verses on it. It's low-budget and well-intended. And what I know about Miss Jeanie is that she gives my JJ a hug every week when we see her and tells her that she loves her and God loves her.
I keep looking at these two books, both written with children in mind, both with the inspiration of helping children acheive their best in life. Both hoping to set them off toward greatness from their early age. And I find there's some prfound statement made when I compare them. The Dream Seed is all about YOU and what YOU can do. You grow your own seed by your positive thoughts and good actions.
God's Garden is about what God does in you. It shows how knowing God can guide you through life. And it reminds you about His word's impact on those tiny seeds in your heart.
One of these books is not going to stay in my home. While it's nice, and made with the best intentions, and there is truth in it, I worry about the message of trusting yourself to achieve your greatest desires. I worry that my kids would some how believe that they are responsible for the outcome of their dreams, and that if they work hard enough, they'll achieve them. It sounds so good and so right, but it rings hallow when those dreams don't happen. Then it puts the burden on you. YOU weren't sparkly enough, ambitious enough, hopeful enough. YOU didn't do it "right".
Not that they can't have dreams, or do everything they can to accomplish their desires, or work hard, or believe in what they're doing. Those aren't bad things. It's just that they aren't the only thing.
I rather would have them "delight in the Lord" to receive "the desires of their heart" (PSalm 37:4). To know that He is the one who writes our dreams, and when we submit to Him and follow Him, then whatever happens, whether it's the way we want or not, we know His plans are not thwarted and He has our best intentions at heart. (Romans 8:28, Job 42:40) While Joey O is saying "I always believe in Me! Even during a challenge, I always believe in my Dream Seed! I know the truth about me! I am successful and happy every day". Miss Jeanie's book says, "These seeds of faith, He will grow. His promises, He will keep. Though I am little, all this I know. For the Bible tells me so."
I'm not saying that dreams of being an acrobatic golfer, or a singer or dancer or whatever are bad. I'm not saying people shouldn't do all they can to get to where they want to be in life. But I do think it's dangerous to put too much trust in those plans, and in yourself. When disappointment happens, you don't have much to lean back on except "try, try again". I'm not sure how well I could articulate the difference between humanistic goal-reaching and faith-driven pursuits. All I know is, "the heart is deceitful, above all things (Jeremiah 17:9)", but the "on paths of righteousness there is life" (Proverbs 12:28).

No comments: