Saturday, May 04, 2013

The Lesson of Mary Poppins

I've always loved Disney's Mary Poppins. It was one of the first movies I actually watched when I was a kid. I remember my dad brought it home from the movie rental store one night along with Robin Hood. We had friends over, so we were having a night of fun. I was disappointed that it was a real people movie, but quickly changed my mind. Jane and Micheal had my attention right away. And then the mystical, magical wondrous Mary Poppins appears and changes everyone's life. I used to think it was because of her crazy antics, of who she was, but actually, she just changed them by teaching them to notice.
Last year I introduced my kids to the nanny extraordinaire movie. Watched it with my brother-in-law who hadn't seen it before, either. It was really entertaining. There are many parts that are hilarious to watch as an adult. Like how Mary Poppins makes a really funny face when she drinks her rum punch "medicine".
But what I realized watching this movie again, and listening to the sound track bonuses, is that this movie is about noticing the insginificant.
It's about a family with parents who are so asborbed in their own social standing and careers that they don't notice their children. They're too busy to see a little boy and girl who just want some time and attention. That's why the culminating moment, when the kids want to give money to feed the birds, is so poignant . The beggar woman sits on the cathedral steps every day,noticing the birds who want to be fed. She is overlooked by the general population. But Mary Poppins notices them. And she notices the kids and their needs. And all together, she teaches a set of self-centered parents that their children--that the world around them--is noteworthy, that there are things you should be noticing. The insignificant things that don't seem to matter, really DO matter.Like the people who clean their chimneys, and the lonely shut-in man who loves to laugh, and the people who draw pictures on the street. And birds.
I want to teach my kids to notice, too. So much of our lives and the culture around us teaches us to worry about ourselves and our needs and how to please themselves. We forget to notice the little things, like cold kids walking home in the rain, like flowers blooming and butterflies, and the poor people who need our help. The least of these. We'll always take time to feed the birds and fly kites, because it's those little things that build into a larger thing, the second greatest commandment about loving our neighbors and putting others first.

No comments: