Friday, March 29, 2013

Triumph



Day of Triumph (Simon the Zealot)

They called me a zealot, and even though I am
I’ve found a new way to freedom
He called me to follow him and at first
I was afraid to leave my fight.
But there was a kind of heaven in his call, a hope of glory
So I found him, my hands still stained with vigilante justice, ready to leave it all behind
My brothers riding away into the night
their battles, their fears,their hateful eyes
the scars put there by an empire unjust
whose only goal is to oppress.
These are who I left.

and I joined Jesus despite my reservations, I followed with the end in mind,
waiting for revolution, for freedom and peace
He spoke of days to come and the Word of God
with authority like a man who knew something we’d all missed.
                He preaches about peace and swords and speaks in riddles
Things that can’t be ignored
He challenges those who ask questions,
He angers the officials,
And he worries those in power.
yet he loves the ones with bruises and scars,
The rejected and broken, the unloved and unclean
And I think he loves even me.

So I walked with him into Passover, with tree branches and coats laid out before us
With songs being sung by the children
on the corners of the street
With Hosanna ringing in my own ears
The daughters of Zion and the donkey’s colt
And all of the longings, all of my hopes, all of my fears
Cast aside, watching him triumphantly ride

But amidst that triumph, I saw that sadness in his eyes
The sense of hesitation in every stride we took toward Jerusalem
I thought about that quiet way he said the things he thought
and how none of us knew what he meant
Things about suffering, carrying a cross, going ahead and leaving us behind.
And I remembered the prophesies: setting his face like flint, crying out to the crowds,
The misunderstood man, acquainted with grief.
Still I saw a savior, a hero, a cause not to abandon.

Then He’d used the word crucified.
And a sensation of dread crept into my heart
Because I wondered if maybe I’d been wrong
And I’d followed him, only to watch him die.
and then where would I be? Where would any of us be,
Except running away again, afraid for our lives?
I had been waiting for him to show his power
to start a fire
That would ignite the whole nation to stand up and fight
He would redeem us from this murky world of injustice and lies
And then all of the battles I’d fought, even ones that had been lost
Would be worth it, would prove to the world my zeal had not been in vain.

He threw over their tables in the temple
And shouted about his father’s house
Those gentle hands turned violent against those I’d once hated
We stood with him while he whipped the vendors
And cast their money to the ground
Watching from the distance, the priests and authorities
The religious ones amidst the tax collectors and sinners
And Jesus, purging the temple of everything unclean
I surveyed the scene: my brothers, the Pharisees, and the vendors on the run
And that look in the Master’s face, his eyes burning, his face like flint there in Jerusalem
Inside I laughed.
The revolution had begun

No comments: