Monday, March 18, 2013

Christians Don't Talk About Money Enough

When it comes to personal finances, I have opinions that probably make people mad. I'm probably judgmental about it and I probably just need to stop worrying about it. But today while I was thinking about another acquaintance of mine who I think has gotten in over her head with debt, and who spends money on things she doesn't have money for (who doesn't read this blog so don't go imagining this is all about you), I just got annoyed all over again. Why does "society" insist that it's OK to spend money you don't have?
Some days it seems like almost everyone around me doesn't realize that our country is on a sinking financial ship full of inflated money that isn't backed up by anything but empty promises from capitol hill.
And some of the problem has come from the whole LIE that you can spend money you don't have.That you have to keep up with what everyone around you has.
What I'm thinking about today is the taboo involving money. We don't talk about it. You might say, "We're having some struggles". Or "We're pretty situated". But people don't really share numbers. Like how much in debt you are, or what your salary is, or what percent of your income you give away. And maybe that's OK. But maybe it's created a whole culture full of people who are willing to take more risks than they should. Maybe if they knew they were going to have to talk about it, they wouldn't want to spend unwisely.
Or maybe it's the opposite way. Maybe people don't talk about it, because in general, we know that it will expose our foolishness, our selfishness, our lives that are not fully in alignment with God's word.
I know that you don't want to sound like you're bragging, or make anyone feel bad because you make more money than them. And I know it isn't socially acceptable. But Christians aren't really socially acceptable, and I think maybe they should be called out on some of their spending. 
I attend a very affluent church. They are very generous too. But my heart kind of breaks when I see couples trying to "keep up" with the the Christian Jonses around them when they honestly can't afford to. I wonder what would be different if we just knew upfront what kind of income a person made. If that guy who lives in the 300,000 home made triple digits it wouldn't seem as foolish for him to spend that much on his home. And if the person who is just barely getting by lives in a mobile home, maybe the church would have more compassion on them rather than making them feel inadequate with all of its collective wealth.
I know it's an ideal, and it probably wouldn't work out that great. I know that the class structure in America and social norms make things like this impossible. I just wish that it weren't such a taboo subject. Everyone hates dealing with it, everyone is burdened by their money and how to spend it wisely, so why not just share the burden with each other? I think we could gain a lot of wisdom from each other and be very encouraged by having some accountability. I'd share with you if you asked.

1 comment:

KH said...

This is something I:m passionate about as well, but also feel unsure how to talk about it...

Thanks for blogging about a topic that is important and has lasting (and big) consequences.