Sunday, July 03, 2011

I've got the Hots

We just went through a horrific heat wave. It was 95+ and about a billion percent humidity. I also happened to be at an outdoor music festival at the same time. We camped with our RV so thankfully there was air conditioning in it, but while we were listening to music and enjoying the aura of crazy Christian hippies, we sweated through our clothes and got caked in dusty mud. I will write more about that later.
Today I was thinking about this hot weather. I hate it. I've always hated it. But, my mom, being who she is, sometimes would make hot days fun for us when we were kids.
We lived in a rented farm house with no air conditioning. So when the weather got into the 90's, she'd take us to the library or the mall to hang out during the hottest part of the day.
We also had an incredible wading pool--a metal water tank for cattle. It was bigger than most wading pools, and deeper too. We'd fill that up and spend hours outside splashing around.
I remember one really great day when we went to the library, and then we came home with all three Star Wars movies. My parents always blocked off the living room and turned on the window air conditioner, so it would make that one room cool enough to live in. So we stayed in that room with our books and legos and other activities, with Return of the Jedi playing in the background. Mom and I worked on these little clay flowers she was using to make a craft. Then, when bed time came, we all brought our blankets and pillows downstairs and camped out on the floor in the living room.
My parents slept up in their room with the baby, since they had an air conditioner in their window. But for me and my brothers, it was party time. I LOVED those hot nights like that. And I always think of it when we have hot days. I sort of miss that simplicity in my life. We just dropped $2500 for a new central AC in our house, since our other one burned out. Maybe we should have sprung for new windows instead and just enjoyed some more nights camping out in the living room.

1 comment:

KH said...

Sorry to hear about your central AC...I missed that bit of info.