Monday, June 06, 2011

Arlo's wedding

We enjoyed some good old time fun this weekend. Our friend Arlene from college got married to another friend from college. Instead of a nice traditionally quaint wedding, or an elaborate show, this wedding was simple down to earth, good old fashioned fun.
I've lived in Iowa my whole life but never been to a barn dance. I really have to say I enjoyed it. My kids did too. We just had a great time. The music was fantastic.
Instead of cake and cake-cutting rituals, Arlo and Darin had a pie contest. All of their guests were invited to bring a pie for judging. Which made for delicious dessert time! We sat on quilts on the lawn for the meal, and had a great time visiting with friends and strangers.
Most weddings, you sit around with a couple people and have awkward conversation and try to think of things to say. This wasn't like that. we met some really neat people and enjoyed catching up with other friends from college.
I liked the small-town country feel. I wish we had mroe chances for things like that.
So, I'm just going to say, we named our kid after one of the coolest people in the world. When you read about the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians, you would be describing her. (Although she would tell you that isn't the case). She has a gentle, quiet demeanor but a funny sense of humor. She enjoys life. She lives in simplicity and welcomes people into her life with honesty and openness. She loves God and shines in whatever she does. Of course, we love her. And that will be a wedding for the history books, for sure.

No comments: