Thursday, April 21, 2011

Intergenerational mingling

Tonight my church's womens ministry took over a coffee shop for the express purpose of allowing women to "mingle" with women of other generations. It's a great idea! I couldn't make it because I had another commitment.
I did, however, have a chance for some inter-generational mingling. With my 14-year-old babysitter. It's sort of a funny coincidence, but while i was driving her home, we got on the subject of siblings and things. She talked about how her mom had lost several babies, and how she always wondered what it would have been like with those extra brothers, and how she couldn't wait to be together with them in heaven.
then I told her about my brothers who hadn't made it. It's weird. I don't think that I've ever really been able to share those feelings with someone who understood and had the same kinds of questions. Growing up, we just didn't talk about it much. I'm sure I've told people about my missing brothers, but it was different, saying it to a girl who wondered the same things about her own life, who wished for those missing family members. It's not a deep wound or anything, but it felt good to just say it and know that she understood.
Some things are so different between generations. Some things will probably always be the same.

No comments: