Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Heaven

Heaven

The darkness swells around
as the evening turns to night, and the shadows of longing
tear at my heart
When I remember her life
and think of all the missed years
that we could have shared together on this earth

And amidst the loneliness and loss, and begging for answers
I find a depth and quietness in my spirit
Blanketed in the comfort He’d promised when He left.
He said He’d come back and make it all right
Stand upon the hill, shout like a warrior
and carry forth His justice throughout the ends of the earth
And I could go back with him to his place in the sky
Where He’d wipe away every tear I cry.

And I’ll see her there, wrapped up in His love
and the time and the years and the sorrow and the tears
will become just sweet flavors of grace.
And the sickness of sorrow that shadowed our lives
in those moments when death gripped our souls
reminding us of our own frailty and sin
will be only a memory, one that pales there in His perfect light
when we behold Him.

(Missing Grandma. Wishing for Heaven)

1 comment:

Katrina Custer said...

I'm listening to my pastor's sermon online on Heaven right now, but this poem captures it so much more succinctly and beautifully!