Friday, January 29, 2010

Back to the Bat


I've been looking through old emails today because I changed my software and it uploaded all of the ones I've saved. They date back to like, 1998, which is pretty fun. Back in high school, I used to send out fairly regular updates, which I'm sure most of my readers deleted. But that's OK. They were fun to write, and now I have chronicles of my life to remember forever (or until a tragic accident with the hard drive). They were a lot like blog entries... I digress.

Anyway, looking back has been fun, remembering all of my craziness and depth and struggles. But, one theme is unavoidable. Batman.

I've written about why I love him so much before. If you know me long, you know, I just love Batman. It's inexplicable. I'd forgotten until I looked through my emails how much I used to identify things from my life. In high school, my best friend Twan was Robin and I, of course, was Batman. We usually bought each other action figures of our characters. I acquired a most awesome shirt which I still wear, along with various other Bat-belia.

In college, we called our room the batcave and made a creative phone message to identify ourselves as such. Naomi was Alfred, Kathrine was Robin, and I, of course, as always, was Batman. I think that all started when, one night, I wrapped myself up in a black blanket and climbed around the bunks bed and dressers, singing the theme song from the animated series. I used to be really awesome. I think Naomi and Katherine worried from that moment on.

I used to call my house the bat-cave. Whatever apartment we lived in was a new bat-cave. When I had a sweet black car (RIP Merkur XR4TI) I referred to it as my bat-mobile.

I'm going to start infiltrating our lifestyle with Batman titles and names. This house is officially the Bat Cave once again. (Don't let the pink clothes, pastel curtians, and cheerfully colored baby toys fool you!) I'll also be taking suggestions for hero avatars for my children. Everyone in this family needs to identify themselves as someone from a comic book. (In case you're wondering, Daniel is Superman).

BTW, i found this site while searching for images and thought it was amusing.

3 comments:

Scarlet-O said...

Whimsical today :-) I made myself practice my songs, finish my column, take care of the 77 e-mails I'd ignored for days and then the other blogs and then I saved yours for dessert. And it was whimsy.

xo
S-O

KH said...

I love it!!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Faith_Trust_Hope said...

:)
I especially like the part about the pastels not fooling us.