Thursday, March 15, 2007

PDT Eye-Theatre and Generations

I've heard a lot of people lately saying things like, "I'm 25 and accomplished nothing" or "I'm almost thirty and have nothing to show for it". Got me thinking. When does a person need to have accomplished what they're supposed to have accomplished? Why are we so dissatisfied with the things we are accomplishing?
So many of us are saying that we feel like we're still kids, but at the same time we're saying we're getting old.
What is old? Is that when the kids you babysat start graduating from high school? Or the kids down the street talk about things and you have no idea what they're even saying? Or maybe it's when you stop being able to keep up with new developments in technology. I think that people in our grandparents' generation are completely overwhelmed right now because of the changes that happen so fast. They had technology when they were our age, but it didn't develop so quickly. I mean, think about how three years ago hardly anyone had LCD monitors. Now they're making Geordie LeForge goggles you can watch movies on! A forth grader was telling me about them today, and I seriously started wondering if he was trying to pull my leg. And then I thought to myself that maybe I'm old. Not only does the pdt eye theater sound completely useless and unnecessary, it's the kind of thing we imagined when we thought of a hundred years from now... and it's now. Ten years ago, the things we thought were thirty or fifty years in the future are starting to happen now.
I think about my grandparents and the lives they've lived. And now they aren't really able to keep up with technology and society (although my grandma really can hold her own with computers), but something tells me they weren't wondering what they'd accomplished when they were twenty-five. They'd already lived through the darkest period of American history (arguably, but don't argue), and would only live to see more hard times. But I think that their lives were richer then.
Which brings me back to the original question. Why is my generation so dissatisfied with what they are accomplishing? People who are headed up the ladder in their business offices, own their own businesses, have their master's degrees, etc. are wishing that they were married and "settled down". People who have families (and I am included in this often), see their lives and wish that they'd finished college or wonder why they aren't pursuing a career. People who aren't married think they're headed to the reject pile; people who are married think they need kids; and the cycle goes on and on until we're seventy-five and die?
I've never been a believer in that whole carpe diem idea. I believing in looking ahead and behind and being content to live in today expecting the consequences for whatever choices I make. I think that when we can see our current life as part of a lifetime, all of the experiences and relationships now contributing to our futures, it's easier to get a perspective and realize that what we do now is important, not only for ourselves, but for others.
The technology and developments are continually causing us to think forward, and pushing and pulling us toward our uncertain futures. But I think that we need to slow down a little more often and consider the value of whatever position we're in, and enjoy it while we're there.
But I'm just wondering out loud. What do you think?

No comments: