Monday, December 18, 2006

The Price

Here's a depressing poem I wrote recently, thinking about how people get bored with me after a while, and about the risks it takes to make new friends. I left off the end because I didn't like the way it was written, but it leaves the rest of this sort of unresolved... oh well, I guess it's more poetic that way. Be assured, I'm not really that depressed. It was just one of those times when I was analyzing my life and relationships, and I write poems to figure things out (which I did at the end of the poem that I left off, so I guess you'll all just have to resolve it in your own way).

Somewhere in my memory is the phrase
"I don't want to be your friend anymore"
etched in unspoken forms
like the new group of girls who finally accepted her
or in the college far away
the call to move to central Asia
or marriage vows to a jealous wife
those things that say "I don't like you anymore"--
or worse "I'll always like you but you aren't worth
the time it takes while I pursue my life"
Make the fear that I'll never really fit in
that I'll always be a back-burner friend
a fear that stays and torments me
every time I try again

3 comments:

Faith_Trust_Hope said...

Hi K -

So, I've read this poem now on two different occasions - and I haven't been quite sure what to write in response, since of course it is the first half only that I have access too, but I wanted to let you know that even as I prepare for whatever is next in my life I know that the letter's we exchanged as children that concluded with the signature "forever friends" remains true. So whether I move to Anchorage, Alaska; Holice, Czech Republic; or some exotic place in Peru; or if I stay here and spend the rest of my life nearby (until you move someplace), that I think that old signature will always remain true.

By the way, I like superman.

Faith_Trust_Hope said...

I checked for an updated post today and realized that you haven't posted here for a while. I'll have to check other sites.

Faith_Trust_Hope said...

Okay, so now I am bored - bored of checking and being disappointed that there isn't an update. Love ya!