Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Taking Lives

Why do there always have to be people in our lives who take more than we can give, who need more than they can express, and who drain us of all of our resources? It's not like I have much to give that anyone else would need, but for some reason, it seems like, since about the time I became uncool and unneeded, there have been people like that who jump into my life and take.

Raven used to call me every night and talk for two hours on the phone about the guys she thought she loved, the way she was treated by them, her family, TV shows, and anything else that came to mind. One time she called me and told me she wanted to kill herself, and all I did, as a very unwise eighth grader, was listen to her talk and tell her that I'd pray for her.

Karen was the kind of girl who tricked herself to think she was friends with popular people and would get crushed every time they blew her off or she realized that they didn't like her at all. She'd sit by me in math class and ask for help all the time, and even though I always knew the answers, she scored better than me on all of my math tests. She'd always run to me when her feelings got hurt, but it was kind of hard to be supportive when she blew me off to try and be popular.

Kelli is lonely. She grew up in a family of six kids, but now she lives by herself and works a part-time job. She called me today just to talk. And I wanted to eat my peanut-butter sandwich and finish getting ready for work. I only had an hour at home, and she used up half of it. And she wants to hang out some time.

Then there are the scores of lonely, hurt, popularity-seeking teenagers who walk into my life and beg for attention. And the four-year-olds who can't stop asking for hugs and tapping my shoulder to interrupt my conversations with co-workers. And the fourteen other Kellis, Ravens, and Karents that will at some point be part of my life and want--need attention and care that I just might not be able to give.

But I seem to remember something about His power being made perfect in our weaknesses, and a promise to carry my burdens. Because He cares for me. And I guess, if caring for people reflects Him, I should still do it even when it wears me out and drives me crazy, and even when the people who take can't give back.

No comments: