Friday, February 01, 2013

The Frozen Midwest

Not too long ago, it was pretty cold, like -12, and we were talking about winter weather. My dad said, "It hasn't even gotten cold yet." I said, "It's something like -12 out there." And he said, "That isn't that cold." Because he's from the most northern part of the continental US, where wind and snow and -30 are pretty darn normal. It made me laugh.
Most people complain about this weather, when it's negative something with a windchill of minus thirty or more. Most people feel the need to announce it on facebook, as though most of their friends aren't experiencing the same thing. But  like it. I like putting on four layers and stepping out into the frozen night, completely immune to the wind for a few minutes, still insulated enough to just look around and see that the earth and its movements have all stopped. I like that people feel like slowing down, and staying in a little more. I like the warm fires and sweaters and scarves. And the way the sun fills up the whole world around you because of the snow's reflections, how cheery it looks even though it's bitterly cold. I just like it.



No comments: