Monday, March 15, 2010

Women of Faith

Last weekend, I drove to Des Moines with a friend and attended the Women of Faith conference. I had a good time hanging out with Marie and enjoyed the conference too. I'd been one other time and hadn't really liked it, but this time I felt like God wanted me to go. I got a good deal on tickets, and a musician I really respect was supposed to be there (he didn't come which really disappointed me). It was good, anyway. I got to see Nicole C. Mullin with her teenage dance team. Also Mendisa who is freaking amazing. That girl can sing. And I was impressed with what she had to say too. I bought her CD and if you know me at all, you're probably laughing because I don't really like hip-hop at all. But she sang a song I really liked to a friend of hers who had lost her baby. So yeah.
Sandy Patti also talked and sang. I guess that was a privilidge, but I'm just not a big fan of that kind of music. She has a great voice.
We listened to different speakers talk about faith and God and what it's got to do with day-to-day life. I'll just share a few highlights of what was said, in case you're interested:

Andy Andrews: Become successful by asking good questions. Bad question="Is this wrong?" Good question = Is this a wise decision?
A mistake requires an apology. A decision requires forgiveness.
Everything you do really matters. (I'd give his proof of that, but it would take too long).

LIsa Whelchel: She talked about good friendships and learning how to share life and connect as an adult. There is a diference between being transparent and being vulnerable.

Sandy Patti: Sometimes when we think God is saying no to your dream, he isn't. He's just saying yes to the dream He has for you.

Patsy Clairmont: God's principles will deepen your desire and ability to follow Him, and as you live them out, your ability to find those principles and apply them to your life will grow.
People matter. You don't know what you do that might affect someone, but everything you do matters.
If you have a girl, you give her a tiara and a tu-tu. If you have a boy, you give him a puppy and a sailor's suit.

Well. That's about all I guess. I recommend the conference if you ever have a chance to go. You wouldn't regret it.

4 comments:

Scarlet-O said...

It sounds good... I mean it sounds like its just generally teaching empathy, and ethics, and wisdom... Principles that span time and geography, these apply in Buddhism and the Aristotlean virtues and even our dear psychology, well of course they do. :-) I like the good question bit- I'm kind of surprised that in a religious seminar they'd say it's wiser not to try to make the moral judgment in favor of the introspective relative question, but, that's really good... and discussing adult friendships, that's really important, that's beautiful, and again, something I've been thinking about a lot... Is it a non denominational conference? It sounds like it...

ks said...

You;re right. A lot of principles in religion are the same throughout the different beliefs. Christianity is different because we get help in fulfilling the commands.
I think what that speaker was saying, wasn't so much not to rule out morals but not to push the boundaries because you end up justifying things you shouldn't. And it takes you one step closer to where you shouldn't be. I think he said something about checking with the Bible but I can't remember now.
Although, I guess I did make it all sound kind of... humanistic. It wasn't qutie so watered down, really. They talked about all of those things through the lens of Christ and the Bible.
It is non-denominational.
What have you been thinking about adult relationships? I'm curious. I think I might post about it (my thoughts, not yours) soon.

Scarlet-O said...

Hmmm... Maybe you did that deliberately, to make it relatable? I mean you must have... That's how all the best sermons or lectures are, I think, because ultimately the point is to get people to change their behavior, I mean it's likw the mysticism is... Well another level maybe... Post on adult relationships pending.

Karen said...

"If you have a girl, you give her a tiara and a tu-tu. If you have a boy, you give him a puppy and a sailor's suit."

What's that all about? It sounds like there is more to that comment?

Glad you had a great time...Maybe I'll go to one sometime....I'd like to. :)