Thursday, December 10, 2009

Simeon


Luke 2:25-32
Now there was a man in Jerusalem called Simeon, who was righteous and devout. He was waiting for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not die before he had seen the Lord's Christ. 27Moved by the Spirit, he went into the temple courts. When the parents brought in the child Jesus to do for him what the custom of the Law required, 28Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying:
29"Sovereign Lord, as you have promised,
you now dismissd]">[d] your servant in peace.
30For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31which you have prepared in the sight of all people,
32a light for revelation to the Gentiles
and for glory to your people Israel."

I always tear up when I think about Old Man Simeon taking baby Jesus in his arms and praising God. He'd waited his whole life for this consolation. And then he basically says that he can die in peace now because he's seen God's salvation. I wonder what Mary and Joseph thought. I wonder if they really understood everything Jesus would do.
I can only imagine how beautiful of a moment it was, as the Holy Spirit danced and sang through Simeon, rejoicing over what that baby was going to do for all of human kind. God probably watched with a satisfied smile, nodding His head at Simeon.

Nowadays the Bethlehem story is a trite little fairy tale told at Christmas. We don't really think about it after Christmas is over, at least not very often. For Simeon, it meant everything. The climax of his entire life, and a moment he would probably recount to the saints in heaven.

I love to share a poem or song at Christmastime that shares some of my feelings and thoughts. Todd Agnew wins again (which only means anything if you've read my blog for the last three years). I highly recommend the album "Do you See What I see?" It has multiple styles and tells the Christmas story from different perspectives. This was last year's post.

He Is Called Jesus - By Todd Agnew

A young couple walks through the temple door
Carrying salvation in their arms
a sight for old eyes
Redemption draws nigh
in the guise of this little baby boy

The prophecies are weaving together
and the waiting is coming to an end
God promised I'd see His Messiah
With these failing eyes before I went home
And God kept His word

He is called Jesus
Son of David, son of Joseph, Son of God
HE is called Jesus
Prince of peace and the Holy One
Of Israel, Messiah, Redeemer and King
He is called Jesus
God's word made flesh for me

They brought Him to me for a blessing
With no idea of the blessing they bring
Two doves as a ransom for their little lamb
who will break their hearts but redeem their souls

You can take these eyes for I have seen Your salvation
You can take this breath and bring me at last into Your peace
You can take these hands for I've held the light to the Gentiles
And the Glory of your people Israel



No comments: