Monday, December 14, 2009

My Friend Mark

Last week, a whole lot of people celebrated the anniversary of our youth pastor being at our church. He's been there for 17 years, which, if you know much about youth ministry, is pretty remarkable in and of itself. I sent him a note thanking him for being a part of my life, and this morning he replied. I've been thinking about him all day, remembering some awesome youth group moments and reflecting on the impact one person can have on a life, even with little interaction.

When I first started going to the church I attend now, I was a freshman in high school. We'd been asked to leave the church I'd grown up at. I was in a crisis of belief. Most of my friends there stopped talking to me and staying in touch with the ones who still wanted to be friends was hard since we didn't see each other that often. On top of that, I didn't really have good friends at school. I was insecure and awkward and really lonely. Mark, the youth pastor, did something that meant the world to me then. He noticed me. I hung around in my brother's shadow a lot that year, but Mark made an intentional effort to include me. He made me feel welcome at church, even though I didn't know anyone else. The guy in charge wanted me around, so I guess that was good enough.

As I became part of the group, I made a lot of great friends and had chances to serve and be in leadership as I grew. I really enjoyed going on retreats and summer trips and hanging out with my church friends. We did so many fun things, and Mark was part of almost all of them. He was always available to listen, always careful to speak and usually said something wise when he did. He offered me invaluable insight into some major problems in my life, without judgment and without jumping to conclusions. (He was also directly responsible for my meeting Daniel, so I will forever be indebted to him). My memories of him and times with him are fond and special. I respect him. I admire him. I love him.

He used to joke whenever I'd say something about one of my best friends. He'd look offended and say, "I thought I was your best friend." (I think he did that with all of the kids in the youth group). But, when I look back on the years of high school youth group, I do think of Mark as a friend. A good friend.

No comments: