Monday, May 11, 2009

Are you a Trekkie?


Yesterday my family had to endure a short rant from me about why you can't compare Star Trek to Star Wars. It's like comparing Monster cookies to monster cars. Just because they have the same word in them and fall into the general "sci-fi" genre, does not mean they are, in any way comparable. They just aren't. And that's another story.
If I had to pick one, anyone who knows me would know, I'd definitely pick star Trek though. I don't really get Star Wars. I really just don't get it. I grew up watching the movies and I even saw Episode One in the theater. It made no sense to me.
Star Trek, I get. And I like it. Maybe I've never publicly admitted that. But I grew up on Star Trek. My dad and I used to watch the Next Generation together. And, when the original series made a daytime debut, my brothers and I watched. I saw the pilot of "Voyager" and got hooked. (Although I never seemed to get first rights on picking what we watched on television, so I hardly got to follow any series that I wanted to except for Doctor Quin, but that's just another embarrassing story).
With all of the different series showing and all of the family members interested in their developments, though, I have always had a pretty good grasp on what happens in Star Trek. I know which aliens are which and who's good and bad, and where Captain Kirk is from (i've been there) and I know a little history about each major character. Apparently that's more than most people know.
Apparently I might fall into the category of "trekkie". But I have never worn a Star Trek costume. And I've never gone to a festival or read any fan literature--oh, wait, I think I did read one novel, but it was based on the show. So, I don't know. If Trekkies could be rated on a scale of 1-10, 1 being not very interested and 10 being a complete geek, I'd probably be a 5. There you have it. I'm a little bit of a geek. but you probably already knew that. Where would you stand on the Trekkie scale? I'm interested to know.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does understand Star Wars!! Now, Star Trek I used to watch faithfully with my dad. Might have to check it out!