Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pray

If you know me, you know I'm not someone to jump onto bandwagons. You also know I don't really like reading the news. But last week the news became unavoidable. And I stopped being able to ignore the bigger problems with the world. With what's happening in Iraq and Ukraine, I have a sense that the world is on the cuff of a huge change. I can't really explain the feeling. I've never before wished that I knew more about end times prophesies, but I find myself wondering, trying to recollect vague memories of teachings I've heard about the kingdoms.
Anyway, facebook filled up with news about Iraq and I felt a big burden to do something. I knew my only recourse was prayer or giving money, and without knowing who to give money to or what to do, I turned to praying. I can't even explain how this was different than other things I've prayed for. I feel as if the whole world is relying on us to push back the evil, and we aren't doing our jobs because we're comfy here in our USA wealth and peace and we don't want to think about discomfort. I know that the balance of the kingdoms don't lie in our feeble prayers, but I also know that people who want God's kingdom to come don't sit in their couches, read a news article, and then go back to playing video games or watching the Big Bang Theory.
I know this requires prayers, fervrant, serious prayers. And what I've done so far has been so small. There really isn't much to do, except ask others to join me. We cannot stop praying for God's people who are suffering. We cannot stop praying for His peace to reign.
So I asked others to join me for a day of prayer and fasting (if they wanted to fast). I was surprised how fast my facebook event caught on. It spread and lots of people "attended", praying together with me. I think it was good. I hope it was.
I confess I didn't make my full twenty-four hour fast like I thought I would. I wasn't even feeling that hungry, but I was getting a serious headache, and I knew that I wouldn't have a chance to pray after seven because I'd be in a meeting, so I decided to eat three hours early. It was so easy to convince myself that was OK. And it was, but it makes me sad that I'm not a little bit more resolved about some things.
So here's one prayer I wrote for Iraq. Maybe it will inspire you to join me this week to continue to pray for peace.



Lord
There are so many things happening in the world right now, so many forces at work. So many evil men claiming power, oppressing the weak, killing others. I admit it is overwhelming and I sense my own limitations in every news story and every thought I have. I don’t know how to pray so often I just don’t. I feel helpless and useless and I listen to a lie that I’m insignificant.
I don’t know how it works. I don’t know that a soverign, unapproachable God who dwells outside of time and space, changes his course of action because of prayer. I don’t know that it does anything. But I do believe that you told me to ask you, so I ask. I believe that you promised where two or three were gathered in your name, you would be there with them. I believe that you are powerful and good and strong. I believe that you work things together for your good. And I believe that you are trustworthy. So I lay my heart before you.
I confess my disinterest as sin. I confess that I prefer to ignore the news and move through my day, living in comfort and peace that is a blessing from you. I choose to not pray or I pray half-heartedly. Lord, change my heart. Change me to care about the things you care about. Give me faith to believe that my prayers do make a difference, that they are worthy. And Lord, I ask you to hear my prayers. I acknowledge you’re sovereign, and that you hold all things in your hands.
So Father, I want to ask you today to be with those who are suffering because of their faith in you. They are numerous—countless. They are faceless to me, but Lord I know they exist and to you they are each so valuable. I know that they rely on the prayers of faithful believers who are dwelling in safety and peace. And I don’t often even care. But today I just need to ask that you’ll forgive my indifference, and hera my pleas. Save these children. Save your people from the hand of death and destruction. Give them your peace—the peace that comes from you and not from the world. Provide their needs, and speak your Word into their hearts. May they find unity with each other and solidarity as they suffer. May they demonstrate your love to their accusers and, through their actions, shine your light in the darkest of places. Father, renew their strength. Give them your power to speak your truth. Allow them to act in love in the face of oppression, giving to others as you have given to them.
I ask that you bring your peace to this land, stricken with war and darkness. Cover your people there. Cause those who don’t know you to cry out to you, the One True King. And bring your salvation to the middle east.

Amen.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thank you- I prayed while reading that.