Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wasting Time

I just read this article about how we spend our time. How people say "I don't have time for that" when really, they do. Because we spend a lot of time sitting around doing nothing when if we spent that time doing something productive, we'd find ourselves having more available time. It also mentioned that people say they work 70-hour weeks, but often it's more like 50. The writer had started keeping track of his time, writing down how much he spent doing what. And it was eye-opening.
I don't think i want to d othat because it might be convicting. sometimes I sit here, wanting something more to happen on internet world, while the real world is busy doing important, meaningful things. Sometimes I decide to watch a show while i fold laundry, and long after I'm done folding laundry, I'm still sitting there watching the show. There are so many other ways I could spend my time and I've known it for a long time. And I have all of these excuses for why i don't--I'm tired, I need my energy for the kids, I can do it later after they're in bed, I don't need to do that, etc. etc. etc.
And maybe I don't have to squeeze every last drop of time out of my slow-paced days. I don't have a lot of scheduled things because I don't like having to be places. But maybe if I spent even an hour more cleaning the house, I wouldn't always feel like I live in a disaster area. And maybe if I spent a half hour more reading my Bible, the days would go smoother. And maybe if I used my time more wisely, I wouldn't be in a hurry to "finish" playing with my kids and go do "more important" things.
I've been praying lately about this very topic, about being more committed to knowing God and actually working at knowing Him. And this is probably a good chunk of the answer. But here I am, on the computer again.

No comments: