Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I Spy with My Little Eye

A pumpkin pie!
Okay. Lameness. We grew a garden this year, and most of it, I really just screwed up. I accidentaly uprooted the peas right after they started producing; I didn't think the carrots so they were all grainy and dry; the spinach got eaten by rabbits and didn't taste that good anyway; the watermellon didn't even make it past sprouts. The corn got blown over by a bad storm, and I lifted it back up and propped them up with wires, but then the bugs got to the corn when it sprouted, and then the ones that made it got attacked by racoons and hail. So. The one thing that made it and overflowed in abundance were pumpkins. We also had asparagus but since it was the first year, we couldn't eat them. They just had to sprout and spread and then they'll grow back every year.
I don't even like pumpkins. We had a lot because I thought the transplants weren't going to make it, so I planted extra seeds in the mounds, and then they all made it and overgrew the entire garden.
Anyway, all that to say. Today was rainy and windy, so I thought "what a great day to use these pumpkins!" I brought in a couple, but after doing the work with two kids on one of the pumpkins, I decided that was enough work and not to do another. The seeds are slimy and I don't even like them but my husband does, so i kept them to roast later.
I baked the pumpkin and scooped out the pulp with the help of my three-year-old. Fiasco. Blended it, and then followed a recipe to make a pie.
I love pumpkin pie, but I don't love pumpkin. Dessert shouldn't taste like vegitables. I like the canned kind better. Ha.
But my husband likes it. The kids will like it too. So I guess it was worth it. but too stressful to really do it again. If anyone wants to try their own, I have two pumpkins left. :)

No comments: