Saturday, August 29, 2009

Furry friends from Days Gone By

I don't know about you, but I have a really hard time getting rid of stuffed animals. Daniel hates that little thing about me. Just this morning I was trying to convince him to fix this broken bear because I can't stand to throw it out even though it's missing both of its legs. but that's another story. The story I have
to tell today is about me as a little girl, collecting the best stuffed animals. We played a lot when I was a kid. I went through a phase where I really only played with my animals. I sort of had a whole world made up in my head with them. I loved those happy days. And I love my animal friends because they remind me of that time.

Today I cleaned up the patch of bears, dogs, cats and various other animals that have been living on top of my wardrobe. I might send a couple away to consignment, but the ones who made the cut... well, I'm sure you're all dying to know. So I went ahead and created a yearbook.

(Top Left) Bear 2. Yes, that was actually his name. He might actually be an Ewok. Some how, he managed to make it into my top four animals when I was a kid, but I don't know why. Mom was right. He's ugly. (Top Center) Baby hear. He got a hole and the plastic beads fell out, but I liked to chew on them so it was all good. (Top Right) Ape. (Creative names). My great uncle gave me that. all of the other kids got little birds that chirped when you bounced them on a string. The gorilla makes squeeking noises. He was always the bully when I played with the animals, but I'm sort of fond of him. He has a good face.
(Bottom right) Snoopy: Nuff said. Freaking awesome.
(Bottom center) Red Frog: I don't really know why I've kept him. Some girl I didn' really even like much gave him to me for my 8th birthday. He croaks when you roll him around. and he's red. Very red. I think he might end up in the goodwill box this time around.
(Bottom Right) I think he's actually the snuggles bear from the downey commercials way back in the day. He has a baby rattle inside.





Above: (From left to right): Goaty. By far my favorite stuffed animal. He usually went everywhere with me. Mom picked him up in North Dakota for me and she didn't get any of my other siblings any presents. I lost him twice. Once in a storage room at the house for several months. I thought he was gone forever until Mom went to organize, and there he was. The other time, I did leave him behind at a hotel in Colorado. Thankfully, MOm had to go back after a week for my grandpa's funeral and she got him out of the lost and found! It's a great story. Wilbur He was pretty much around from the time I was born. One house we lived in, Mom came in singing a song from the Charlotte's Web movie, and one of piggy's eyes popped right off and fell into a heat intake. He only had one eye for years and then one day MOm randomly just decided to sew new ones on. i love that pig. Lammy Another one who was around, I think since I was born. I carried him all over. most people say it's a bunny, but I don't think so. He was always my favorite toy. I used to lift up the little bib to find the soft fur underneath. And, the best of all, it plays Frere Jocha when you wind it up. Except my brother stepped on it and it never worked again.

From left to right again. Dog. I know it looks like a blob but it's really a dog. He used to have paper eyes glued on, but they fell off so all that's left is a mouth. I won him at an Awanas thing when I was probably four. I guess he's just evidence of mercy, because I can't bring myself to throw the darn thing away. He's hideous. He was even when he first showed up. Aslan. I was probably in middle school when I got him at a tag sale I went to with my mom. Some old person couldn't part with him, and neither can I. He looks very antique, and I've had to patch him up a few times, but I think he's really cute. So stately, yet so fierce. He likes to lead the other animals around, just like Aslan in Narnia. Hu-You. No idea why we named him that. No idea how we kept him around so long. He's sort of a family toy, but I ended up with him since I have a house and no one else does. He's actually the 1980 Olympic mascot, a Russian bear. He used to have an Olympic belt, but that disappeared a long time ago. I checked. He's worth about 5 bucks on ebay in good condition. That makes Hu-You worth about five cents. Aside from the great memories.




(Left) Masked Marada. He terrorizes the night, stopping crime in its tracks. My mom never liked him, but I think he's great. He thinks he's a super hero. (right) Josh. No idea how I picked that name. My grandma brought all three of us animals with jackets and scarves one year. my brothers got a panda and a dog, and I got this koala. I named him JOsh. He was Ape's friend, and they were always up to no good together. :)

Well, there you have it. Welcome to my crazy world. That was only half of the great things I could tell you. Only half of the animals that I need to go clean up before Daniel gets home.

4 comments:

Faith_Trust_Hope said...

I was looking at the pictures and thinking "you can't get rid of that one" and realizing there is also a time where we need to know to let go. It is tough when material items embody memories that we are afraid we will lose if we don't keep the items. I like that you made a year book. Actually, I have no clue what I am writing write now - so ignore it - the point is - I appreciate your writing this.

ks said...

I'm not getting rid of the ones I pictured. Others that aren't so important ar egoing. These are the ones I'm KEEPING.

Heather said...

NONE of my stuffed animals had names. I guess that just proves my lack of creativity and your abundance :)

ks said...

Or maybe, Heather, it's evidence of your abundance of real live friends and my lack thereof. (as a kid)