Friday, March 24, 2006

Frail

A lot of you have already heard that Daniel's youngest brother, ELliot was in a car accident a few weeks ago. There were a lot of ways he could have died, but fortunately, he made it out with seven broken bones and a punctured skull. I think it's ironic that Elliot, who home-schools, lives in Iowa, and is only twelve years old, is the one who just had a life-scraping experience when Wyatt is a medic in Iraq and is daily exposed to the dangers of war.

My younger brother is also getting fired at, but he's in basic training so it's a little more controlled. Ironically, still, though, it was my older brother who nearly died a couple of months ago when he slipped and fell down a waterfall, hitting his body against some jagged rocks. He works on a cruise ship and gets to do vacationy things all the time.

I think it makes an interesting point, though. If you had to choose who was more prone to death: a soldier in Iraq or a twelve-year-old homeschooler; a training private at Fort Benning or a light technician for Carnival cruises, who would you choose? I'd more than likely go with both of the former choices (I actually heard of two people who died at Benning a couple of years ago when one of my friends was there).

My point is that we are all frail. And we don't know when our life will end. Nearly everything we do is a risk. So I guess we should take more chances.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

weird, huh? That our safety is so disconnected from our jobs or activities, and our life is preserved by God's mercy, and not entirely by our wise and foolish choices.

I re-read your post about the integrity of words - I think maybe I missed the second half of that post the first time I read it. You & Peacock have some very good points. Thanks for putting them to... ummm... words.